Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DIY Geometric Wall Art (Nursery Project)

I'm fortunate that my sister blogs about home makeover projects -- since she has been helping with the nursery, she has already done all the work to write up and take photos of what's been completed. (So I'm copying/pasting her blog into mine)!

DIY Geometric Wall Art (Nursery Project)



I've been in Denver for the past four days decorating my little sister's nursery. 
She's due Oct 1st. 

When I asked them what they what they wanted for their nursery design, they said they wanted lots of color (turquoise and orange being them theme colors)!

They had a friend already painting a dresser a blue turquoise color and making a bar for the top to be a changing table, and they had an orange lamp. Besides that, the room was a clean slate! 

Right after we touched-down it was game on to find fabric! 
It was tough. There's just not a lot of material out there with teal, turquoise and orange, that is also modern looking. 

We decided to pull our colors and vibe from this shower curtain at Target. They already had this in their downstairs bathroom, so this is what we used for our "inspiration piece". 


The colors were close to perfect (maybe slightly too green), but we also loved the retro-modern feel.

By the end of the first day, we still had no fabric, but we did have the paint they used for the dresser, and we had our inspiration piece. So, I started on some DIY wall art (oh how I love working on DIY wall art).
 I decided I needed to include the oh-so-popular triangle pattern. Is everyone loving triangle patterns as much as I am?


Do you think I have enough paint sponges and bowls? Just an FYI, I only had the turquoise blue, orange, white and black. The rest of the colors were a combination of those. 



Here was my start. 



I just sponged and sponged...and sponged. I was wishing I would have made the sponge triangles bigger, because it was taking forever!


I tried to have very little paint on the sponge and then dry brushed the edges.  


Here the end result. 



A close-up on the print.



Placed in the room. 



This one took a lot of time, but it set a great feel to the room, and was such a fun and colorful piece. 
....and they already had the canvas and the paint.



So there is the first project in Baby Z's Nursery Reveal. 


--Katie

1 comment:

  1. Nursery Wall Art Stickers are a great way to personalize your child’s nursery without going to huge amounts of expense. Every parent dreams of creating a fantastic nursery for their children but not every parent has the skills or money to realize these dreams. This is where Nursery Wall Art Stickers may come to the rescue and help you create an individual design for your nursery.

    ReplyDelete